LGBTQ Estate Planning in League City, TX
Safeguard Your Legacy from Discrimination
With marriage equality recently arriving in Texas, new legal protections are available to LGBT Texans. Estate planning is crucial for everyone, no matter what their sexual orientation. For LGBT couples in particular, estate planning with our League City estate planning attorney can help guard against discrimination from those who may not recognize the validity of your relationship.
Lack of proper estate planning can prove disastrous to a spouse, partner, or family members. Relying on less comprehensive estate plans such as a will or joint tenancy deed can wind up conceding legal control of your estate or health management in the event of incapacity. If your partner or spouse becomes incapable of making decisions due to illness or the unforeseeable, a proper strategy for their estate can make every difference in maintaining a role in their care. Remember that estate planning helps to combat any reluctance to recognizing the validity of your marriage.
Estate planning solves many problems for LGBT individuals and couples, including:
- Living trusts can establish your spouse or partner as trustee. This enables managing of their affairs if they become incapacitated.
- Medical powers of attorney allows one partner to make health care decisions for the other in the event of an accident or illness.
- Proper estate planning ensures that married LGBT couples’ assets are protected while maintaining their privacy.
- For same-sex couples who aren’t married, a strategy for your estate plan can ensure health care decisions and assets go to your partner while avoiding probate.
- Nominating the individual of your choice to care for minor children.
Plan Your Future Today
Taking steps today to plan your estate can give you the peace of mind you desire. At The McNair Law Group, PLLC, our League City estate planning lawyer has years of experience in assisting individuals and couples to secure their assets and rights.
Call (281) 784-3340 or contact our League City estate planning lawyer online today to discuss your situation.