League City Estate Planning Lawyer for Wills
Draft a Will to Preserve Your Family’s Wealth
Making plans for your family’s future should be a comfortable process. It can be stressful to determine who would receive your property in the event of your passing. Drafting a last will and testament to guide your loved ones in distributing wealth avoids many complexities between your family members. A valid will also provides your family members with a roadmap on how to distribute your assets.
At The McNair Law Group, PLLC, our League City estate planning lawyer's mission is to provide you with the resources and guidance to plan your will with ease.
Creating a Valid Will in Texas
Each state has its own requirements for a valid will. Texas law requires that the testator, or person making the will, has the following:
- Legal Capacity - The testator must be at least 18 years old.
- Testamentary Capacity - The testator must provably be of sound mind. This means they have the mental ability to understand the purpose of the will, the status of their assets, and their relationships to beneficiaries.
- Testamentary Intent - At the signing of the will, the testator must fully intend to dictate the distribution of their property upon their death.
There are additional specific requirements that must be met depending on the type of will you write.
There are two types of written wills that are recognized in Texas:
- Holographic will: This form must be entirely written in your handwriting and personally signed by you. No witness requirement exists for the signature.
- Attested will: This must be in writing and signed by you (or by another individual as directed by you in your presence with two more or credible witnesses above the age of 14). Attested wills are the most common option utilized.
Don’t Wait to Complete Your Will
Drafting a last will and testament isn’t exclusively beneficial to the elderly. Every adult should consider one, particularly those with children.
Beyond the distribution of wealth, your will allows you to determine guardianship of your children after you pass. Your will also allows you to handle of the estate for their betterment and the benefit of your spouse. Even without a family, your will allows you to distribute the entirety of your estate.
Reach Out to Our Attorney for Preparing a Will in Texas
Working with our League City attorney at The McNair Law Group, PLLC is a comfortable and guided process. We want to ensure that you feel educated and provided with every resource necessary to help you draft your will.
Ready to discuss creating your will? Contact our office in League City, TX at (281) 784-3340 today!